Our Neighborhood: The Town of Bernalillo
Bernalillo, New Mexico progressed from a string of haciendas along the river in the 1600's to a commercial center of trade among the pueblos and the Mexican settlers in the 1800's. Founded by Don Diego de Vargas in 1695, the Town of Bernalillo remains a retail trade and service center for this part of the Rio Grande basin.
Welcome to the "Santuario de San Lorenzo"
Archbishop Jean Baptiste Lamy oversaw the construction of forty-five new churches and chapels during his stay in New Mexico. Santuario de San Lorenzo in Bernalillo was one of them, completed by residents in 1857. The impressive structure, featuring four-foot thick adobe walls, twelve-inch vigas and an earthen floor, served as the Parish Church of this historical central New Mexico town for over 100 years. It is one of few examples in New Mexico of French architecture built with native materials. In modern times, because of its proximity to Albuquerque (20 miles), Bernalillo and the surrounding countryside have become increasingly urbanized, and Santuario de San Lorenzo is one of few historical sites left in the area.
For more information on San Lorenzo Town Fiestas: (Click Here)